My Photo
Name:
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

My name is Samantha and I am a 22 year old college first year senior at UNCG trying to figure out life as I type this. I am very involved in activism for LGBT rights, women's rights, human rights in general. I enjoy intellectual and political discussion, movies, music, reading, meeting new people, writing poetry and newspaper articles, and the lifelong acquistion of knowledge in and outside the classroom.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

My Hymn

Uniformity of opinion
Living to one call
An all ending sign that-
would give us hope
Lather in the soap to cleanse
Send away evil thoughts
That is what they taught me

Father Jim gave me Communion
A union of souls
Though he held something else
Besides the wine
The body of the innocent
Save me from sin I pleaded
That is what I lived

A figure to worship
He would love me
With my "free will"
Till I lived otherwise
The eyes would abandon me
And curse all that I'd see
Look down upon thee
This is what they taught me

Praise an exalted one on most high
Give my money so freely
Without question I bowed my head
Believed all that was said
In promoting the "good news"
You were not I
I would point you out of the crowd
And condemn you out loud
This is what I lived

Confessed of what was 'wrong'
As long as I'd praise the virgin
And censure Ms. Magdalene
The time would come
Where he'd come back again
And all our sin would show
And we would know the 'true believers'
That wasn't me, that couldn't be

Never knew when my head-
went underneath the water
That this would arise
My words used against me
A dream of living a 'damned' life
Of an 'alternative lifestyle'

Under his collar
The grip held me tight
And the sight of it all
Caused me to fall

Save me they said
But from what I asked
They all laughed at my 'naivety'
Myself, save me from myself
I could self-destruct with-
or without your teachings
Your supposed brotherly love
It wasn't enough

The altar abandoned me
What were the rules
What would be alright
That night I denounced my faith
The faith of my dystopia

And I would no longer belong
The hymn, the song of his love
Proved what I knew what was wrong
This is what they taught me
What I once, tried to live

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home