My Photo
Name:
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

My name is Samantha and I am a 22 year old college first year senior at UNCG trying to figure out life as I type this. I am very involved in activism for LGBT rights, women's rights, human rights in general. I enjoy intellectual and political discussion, movies, music, reading, meeting new people, writing poetry and newspaper articles, and the lifelong acquistion of knowledge in and outside the classroom.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

2nd class

You call me 2nd class
Like its supposed to be my place
You infer with your most high
That I most derive at this point

I can not avoid the hate and bigotry
This culture you call holy
Is only loving in your eyes
As I walk aside with my wounded pride

A shout and a let down
Won't defer my course
We deserve better, we deserve more
Than what were offered

I furrow my brow
At the Headlines
Taking away freedom with your actions, your words
It's not your right to dictate my life

You call me 2nd class
Like its supposed to be my place
Like my face is a disgust
To your America

As you walk in your security
Oblivious to our pain
Our plea for equality
Ignoring the tears that fall upon these streets

Four score and seven years ago
America was a land of the free
Though you wipe your hands-
on all that’s supposed to mean
You crumble what’s known, what’s right

You'll picket and you'll fight
To destroy my life, my rights
And you'll condemn and you'll yell
And you'll live to tell me-
of my one way ticket to hell

Though love will prevail throughout these tests
No longer can we hide or regress
No longer can we conceal who we are
No longer can I live in the past
No longer can I be your 2nd class

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home