My Photo
Name:
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

My name is Samantha and I am a 22 year old college first year senior at UNCG trying to figure out life as I type this. I am very involved in activism for LGBT rights, women's rights, human rights in general. I enjoy intellectual and political discussion, movies, music, reading, meeting new people, writing poetry and newspaper articles, and the lifelong acquistion of knowledge in and outside the classroom.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Deck

The storybook tale never fails to heighten my dreams
As I've foreseen so much from the texts
Blessed with fantasy and imagination
Graced with the right words to say
I've played the cards right tonight

But the ending isn't so clear cut
The wonderment about life and love
Its breaking down, piece by piece
The elements have become vague
The hand I've dealt has become too frightening

And I hold the deck between my fingers
I linger on the Aces
Play the faces of each Queen and King
I've tried to rise above each number
To tumble and fall

I call you in the wee hour
To the fear of tomorrow
You can't hold me for forever
But my digits will strengthen
And my fingers will be my own

And your deck shows a full house
Which, my heart can't inhabit
But the ace is yours to keep
That's what you need right now
Its the peace we know now
The friendship we exercise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home